Wednesday 25 November 2009

Illumination Project









This is a first year project I did last year. We were asked to design and create a self supporting lamp. I decided to design a reading lamp.
I wanted to use an unusual material to create a soft light that would be comfortable for bed time reading but would also look attractive when the light was off. I became very interested in shadows during my research and I experimented with different materials to create a subtle shadow.
In the end I created my lamp by rolling up hundreds of pages of books and cutting them into small ring shapes. I then glued them back together side by side to create a honeycomb appearance. The intensity of the light is mellow and the ring shapes cast relay nice shadows on whatever surface you place the lamp.


No comments:

Post a Comment